The Mapmaker's ChildrenThe Mapmaker's Children by Sarah McCoy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

3.5 Stars

The Mapmaker's Children is an interesting historical fiction story revolving around the daughter of abolitionist John Brown in the late 1800s and a modern woman who moved into a house connected to Sarah Brown in 2014.

Their existences may be many years apart, but there are similarities between the women that cross the boundaries of time and those similarities help the modern woman realize and accept her place in life. See the difference when comparing a woman from the past who cannot have kids, with a woman from the twenty-first century who is in the same boat, was an eye-opening experience. Sarah sacrifices everything because she knows living in the 1800's, she needs to be able to bare children in order to have a husband. However, Eden is married to a man who is wholly devoted to her while she has trouble accepting the fact that she is barren.

Although I enjoyed the story, I believe my favorite was the small essay in the back that the author wrote about her research on the topic. It's always nice when an author gets personal. One thing that disappointed me, though, was the fact that I was hoping to find out about Eden's fertility situation before the ending of the book. Nonetheless, I would recommend this book to any historical fiction or women's fiction fan.

A copy of this book was provided to me through Blogging for Books in exchange for an honest review.