The Mammoth Book of the Best of Best New Horror - Harlan Ellison, Christopher Fowler, Peter Straub, Michael Marshall Smith, Stephen Jones, Caitlín R. Kiernan, Ramsey Campbell, Brian Lumley, Tim Lebbon, Paul J. McAuley, Glen Hirshberg, Elizabeth Hand, Lisa Tuttle, Mark Samuels, Joe Hill, Terry Lamsley, Simon Kurt Unswort
I like to read Horror books any time of the year, but right now, close to Halloween is the best time. These twenty short horror stories were the best of the Mammoth book of best new horror. Out of the twenty stories, I only really liked five of them. The rest were just OK, in my opinion. The ones I liked were:

White by Tim Lebbon
(It was an intriguing story...started out with some gruesome-ness right away. Even though we don't find out exactly what the beings were in this story, it was still a good, fast read. I actually think the mystery to it makes it creepier.)

20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill
(I had read this story before in a different anthology of the same title. I liked it then and I like now. Who doesn't love a good ghost story anyway? Obviously, Joe Hill received the gift of writing from his dad, Stephen King {for those of you who don't know that already}.

The White Hands by Mark Samuels
(This one was more of a back-in-the-day gothic horror and I enjoyed it. It takes place near Highgate Cemetery in London. The main character is compelled by something supernatural and ends up in the looney bin because of it.)

Haeckel's Tale by Clive Barker
(Wow, this story! It was my favorite of the five that I really liked. I have to admit, this is the first piece of work I have ever read by Clive Barker and I wasn't, at all, disappointed. I kind of knew I wouldn't be because I like his movies, Hellraiser and Nightbreed, among others. I am interested in reading more of his books now!)

The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates by Stephen King
(Another ghostly tale in which Stephen King just jumps right in at the beginning. Which made this short story complete without feeling like anything was missing.)